I have to conform to USDA standards for daycare so some people think its overkill to have so many side dishes with the food, but honestly it helps cut down on our food bill. I make one serving of the main dish for each person and allow seconds on sides. I think it is helping all of us kick the overeating habit too.
I generally way overcook for breakfast items, like pancakes and waffles and english muffins (yes i make them) and then i freeze the leftovers so i only have to make breakfast stuff once or twice a month. I also try to make as much ahead as i can, and spend sunday cooking things for the week and stock them in the freezer or fridge.
Our pintos and cornbread meal use the pintos i canned around christmas time.. I am almost out so i suppose i should go buy some more and cook them up! I found an arse load of lids in the closet (yes mom, i had like ten hundred lids and did not know it!) so i can officially can a bunch more. we have been eating way more beans since I canned up the last bunch. While this is at time assaulting to my nose, it is great on the food budget. And nothing tastes better than Adan's refried beans. We have a deal - i cook and can the beans, he refrys them!
As always, if you want a recipe, let me know!
- Breakfast - blueberries and pancakes
- Snack, AM & PM - Pickles & Milk
- Lunch - Spaghetti, meatballs, green beans & pineapples
- Dinner - Antipasto Salad (pepperoni, hard boiled eggs, cheese, broccoli, tomatos, olives, cauliflower)
- Breakfast - Apple slices & Oatmeal
- Snack, AM & PM - Biscuits & Cheese
- Lunch - Antipasto Salad
- Dinner - Lemon Thyme Chicken, strawberries, Salad & Bread
- Breakfast - Zucchini Bread & fruit
- Snack, AM & PM - Apple juice & string cheese
- Lunch - Lemon Thyme Chicken, strawberries, Salad & Bread
- Dinner - Macaroni and Cheese, mixed veggies, corn
- Breakfast - Strawberries & Waffles
- Snack, AM & PM - Yogurt & Crackers
- Lunch - Macaroni and Cheese, mixed veggies, corn
- Dinner - Chicken Nuggets, Salad, Mashed Potatoes
- Breakfast - Oranges & Cereal
- Snack, AM & PM - Hummus & tortilla chips
- Lunch - Chicken Nuggets, Salad, Mashed Potatoes
- Dinner - Penne Pasta tossed with olive oil, tomatoes and cheese, green beans
- Breakfast - Apples & Pumpkin Muffins
- Snack, AM & PM - Bell Peppers, Black Bean Dip
- Lunch - Penne Pasta tossed with olive oil, tomatoes and cheese, green beans
- Dinner - Pinto Beans, corn bread, veggies, fruit
- Breakfast - Mandarin oranges, English Muffins
- Snack, AM & PM - Peanuts & Grape Juice
- Lunch - Pinto Beans, corn bread, veggies, fruit
- Dinner - Broccoli lasagna, fruit cocktail