Thursday, February 26, 2009

Old Friends

Last week when I went grocery shopping I accidentally got a case of cup of soup instead of ramen noodles. My husband was a bit perturbed because he likes ramen for lunch but we all got over it. As i was eating a cup of soup for lunch one day, I flashed back to jr. high and high school, when I practically lived at my best friend's hours and we would eat cup of soup for after school snacks. We became instant best friends when we entered 7th grade. I was 12. Our lives have taken on different directions since high school. I moved away, got married and had 3 children before she got married. Somehow we have managed to maintain contact even through I have lived in 5 states and 2 countries over the intervening 13 years. We aren't nearly as close as we were during high school when we were dubbed "attached at the hip". But there are times that I miss her. I ache for the bond that we used to have.

My soup memory brought on that feeling of missing her. I have not seen my friend in over a year. I haven't spoken or emailed her since I lost contact with her a few months after when I moved to KY early last year. I finally broke down and contacted an character from my past, who works with her. Yesterday we spent the day emailing back and forth. It's always nice to talk to her. It seems that no matter how long it is since we talked last, I am always comfortable with her, and her with me. It's as if we haven't seen each other since yesterday :) If I can dig up an old photo of us, I will post it!

Hopefully we will be able to institute a girls weekend once a year. That way, no matter where in the world I am, or how far apart we live, we can still connect in person at least once a year.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Aww. Thats so sweet. I have a friend like that. We've been known each other for 9 years now. Sadly, I don't think we can consider each other best friends anymore but its always comfortable around her. Now I live 2 hours away from her. Yay.

SusieGoodness said...

I hope that everyone has an "old friend" LOL. In September, we will have known each other for 20 years! I also would not say we are BEST friends but she is certainly one of my goodest. I still live very far from her.. she is in California, but I am hopeful that we can maintain our friendship for-evvv-errrrrrrrrr

Grammie said...

I encourage you to maintain contact with your friend, even if it isn't the same as when you were in high school. I recently lost one of my friends whom I met in junior high school--more than 40 years ago! Out of our group of girlfriends, I was the only one who came to see her in her last days, even though I had to fly across the country to do so (others kept informed by telephone). One of the last things she said to me, just two weeks before she died, was, "You will never know what it means to me for you to be here." Our friendship went through ups and downs, ins and outs, but I'm glad I can say I was her friend in the end, when it counted.